1. All selections made by the Railway Recruitment Boards are purely based on merit position obtained by the candidates in the written examinations subject to reservations for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes. Viva-voce tests (interviews) have been done away except in the four categories indicated in para 5 below.
2. All written examinations are of multiple choice objective type.There will be negative marking, 1/3 mark will be deducted for every wrong answser.
3. The syllabus for the written examinations is generally commensurate with the qualifications prescribed for the post.
4. The questions will be in General Knowledge/General Intelligence and Reasoning and Analytical abilities and in the technical/professional subjects wherever technical/professional qualifications are prescribed. In addition in certain categories like Clerks, Probationary Station Masters, Commercial/Traffic Apprentices/Junior Accounts Assistants etc., questions in English/Hindi language can also be asked.
5. The type of selections for some of the categories is given below. The list is illustrative and not exhaustive.